This article includes the following topics:
Creating a Twilio account
Before you begin the setup process your CRM account will need to have signed up for the SMS Platform. To sign up, please contact email@example.com or call (630)394-6260.
Once you have signed up for the SMS Platform, you can begin the setup and configuration process.
The SMS Platform is directly integrated with Twilio. If you do not have a Twilio account, you can Sign Up For Free.
- First you'll need to buy a Twilio Account.
You will need to purchase a full Twilio Account. The "Free Trial" version includes a $15 credit and can be used for testing purposes, but it can only send messages to verified numbers. During the sign up process you'll be asked to verify an initial phone number. Additionally, any messages sent using the Trial will include a portion that says "Sent from your Twilio Trial Account -". You would not want to actually use this on live clients.
- After verifying, create a project by giving it a name. Projects are a top level of objects in their system. Right now we support one set of Project API per company, so you could have one set of credentials per company within the account (this includes an option to activate credentials for all companies in the account).
- On back to the Project dashboard, click on Show API Credentials in the upper right-hand corner to setup the retrieve the SID and Auth Token.
When setting up the account you do not need to click "Get Started". This will take you to create a new phone number for SMS. It is not necessary to setup the first phone number this way. You can easily create the phone number from within the CRM and avoid doing anything further in the Twilio interface.
Linking Twilio with DebtPaypro
- Locate the Account SID and Auth Token from your Twilio account on the Project Dashboard, and input these credentials into the SMS Settings page inside DebtPayPro.
You''ll want to use the Account SID and Auth Token from the project. The SID and Auth Token available for phone numbers will NOT work with the integration.
- Log into the CRM.
- From the Admin tab, click Settings > click SMS.
- Plug in the Account SID and Auth Token where indicated.
- Select either of the following options in the Company menu:
Entering credentials for an individual company will override the "All Companies" credentials.
- Individual company; or
- All Companies
- Click Save Settings.
Purchasing phone numbers
- From the SMS tab, select Manage Numbers.
- To purchase a number, click Purchase a New Number. You can search by area code to find numbers in specific locations.
Syncing numbers from Twilio
- To Sync a phone number that you've already created in Twilio, click Sync Numbers.
When clicking this button it should pull all the active phone numbers from the attached Twilio account and set them as active.
- Click Sync Numbers to sync the credentials from the current user's company.
So if the account has credentials for All Companies in addition to credentials on the user's company; the system will only sync the numbers from the user's company, and not sync using the All Companies credentials.
Editing phone numbers
When editing a phone number, you'll have the option to Activate or Deactivate phone numbers, give them a Friendly Name, as well as Assign Company/Users access to the numbers. You'll also see additional details about the phone number, such as the date it was purchased, or any SMS Campaigns that are using the phone number.
The Friendly Name allows you to name your Phone Numbers and will show up when selecting that phone number from other pages in the CRM interface.
When assigning Company/User access, you can choose to share with individual users, entire companies or with everyone. In the following example video, we share it with everyone in the DebtPaypro company.
Setting SMS role permissions
The SMS platform includes several User Role permissions. Enabling or disabling these permissions will allow you to customize how your agents utilize the SMS Platform. Upon activating SMS you will need to go and edit user roles to provide access to the new features and module.
Phone Number is not syncing with DPP
- Log into Twilio.com and go to the Console's Numbers page.
- Click on the phone number you'd like to sync with DPP.
- Find the Messaging section and the A MESSAGE COMES IN option.
- Select Webhook and paste in the URL: https://client.debtpaypro.com/post/twilio.php
Error: Unable to create record: Permission to send an SMS has not been enabled for the region indicated by the 'To' number
- Log into Twilio.com and go to the Programmable SMS page.
- Click on Settings, then click Geo Permissions
- Enable the checkbox that corresponds to the region you are trying to send SMS messages to.
Error: Unsupported Provider
- This message indicates that there is a problem with the Twilio credentials. Either they are missing or invalid. The assigned company must have a valid, working Twilio account integrated in order for messages to work.
Error: Message could not be sent. Error: [HTTP 401] Unable to create record: Authenticate
- If an SMS is not sent for any reason, say credentials are wrong or lack of funds, we get this error message. We cannot really differentiate what caused it. If we see that message, we have to:
- Check the AuthToken and SID.
- Check funds on the Twilio account.
For further information, please see the following articles
- SMS: Sending and Receiving SMS Messages on the Client Dashboard
- SMS: Sending E-Sign Requests
- SMS: Campaigns
- SMS: Triggers
- SMS Report